I was on my way to the garbage can with these old shoes and I just paused. I couldn’t through them away. Why, they have gotten plenty of wear? They were given to Kate when she was about three. A hand-me-down from her cousin Grace, still in great condition at the time as most o
f Grace’s seconds were. I never thought a pair of funny red shoes would be worn so much. Suprisingly, they seemed to go with almost everything. We always got so many compliments on them too. Dorothy shoes, they were so cute on their little feet. They were one of Kate’s favorites and then it was Macy’s turn. I think Macy loved them even more then Kate. Macy is so sweet. She always asks about the history of items. “Where does this come from?” “Who wore them first?” I love that she thinks items with history (hand-me-downs) are more special then new. But sadly, they became too tight for Macy. Worn and outgrown by three little girls. So as I stood dangling these old shoes over the garbage can and I started to choke up as I do now. These shoes are just too preciouse to put them to rest without a moment’s notice. I took them back inside and with late afternoon light from the window I hope I was able to capture a glimpse of what they have meant to me.

Sleeping ANGELS!
As we all no, sleeping babies are so precious. Now as my girls have gotten older it is even more significant when I watch them sleep. All the sorrows and struggles of the day are suddenly so meaningless when I look at their sweet spirits sleep. I notice how little they still are. How I shouldn’t expect so much from them. As I pull the covers up around them and place a dangling arm or leg back on the bed , a renewed commitment is vowed in my mind to do better tommorrow and to just love, LoVe, LOVE them everyday!
2 comments:
So precious Holly! I have a box that holds some of our treasured items like old blankets and binkies. I also have a little pair of blue shoes. They were the first shoes I bought for Talon and Tyler also wore them...funny how things can hold memories like that.
Your girls are too sweet and I also catch myself staring at my kids while they are sleeping loving them more and more.
Holly
I loved reading your blog just now. I hadn't looked at anyones blog for a while. The girls are so darling! Your place looks so cute and it looks like you guys have been up to lots of fun activities. Miss you guys!
Post a Comment